OK, if that Blog entry title doesn't get me 1,000 hits a day then I give up. iPhone 3G and SharePoint both in the title!! The 3G is my newest and mostest favorite toy right now. It is not great as a business device, (no copy/paste, no email search and typing on it takes some getting used to), but as a general productivity device it rocks. It is extremely easy to use, reading emails and web pages is a joy and the free bubble wrap popping application keeps me going during project review meetings.
It got me to thinking that there are some similarities between the iPhone and SharePoint...I really do need to get out more. Here's my thinking...consider the iPhone in comparison to a Blackberry. The iPhone,
- Is amazingly easy to use - in fact you do not really need end user training,
- Includes things that make tasks that bit more fun during the day,
- Is aimed at the needs/desires of the end user,
- Is designed to be pervasive and provide 80% of the functionality that I need 80% of the time,
- Looks like it does everything that a Blackberry does if you read the marketing literature but it isn't quite there,
Now consider the same analogies with SharePoint and a classic ECM solution. SharePoint is intuitive, fun to use and definitely aimed at the end user community. It does provide a lot of the functionality that you need a lot of the time and according to the marketing fluff out there it is a panacea for the enterprise. The comparison falls apart completely when you start to look at the interaction between an iPhone/Blackberry and SharePoint/classic ECM... iPhones and Blackberries don't interact but it is obvious that SharePoint and traditional ECM systems actually work well together!
Oh the title, the image and the reason for this post? I faked the image and but the concept is real; it relates to this article...but truth be told I just wanted to increase my daily hit rate