« Content Management Interoperability Services (CMIS) News | Main | SharePoint Archiving #2 - An Overview of the Potential Solutions. »



Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

Andrew Chapman

Sheetal,I'll discuss this at length in the 3rd post...EBS vs. RBS. Bottom line is that getting access to the actual BLOB object is only 5% of the problem…being able to get the object’s context from SharePoint, being able to intelligently manage the content, apply protection/compliance controls is the other 95% of the issue. RBS gives you the file stream, (the BLOB object), but try finding out which site/library/folder it came from, try being selective about what gets externalized and to where, try to associate that BLOB with a previous version of that same BLOB for intelligent management…you get the idea. With EBS you have a fighting chance to do this (EBS is implemented in SharePoint whereas RBS is a SQL Server technology), but it is still exceedingly difficult to do it properly.To be fair, a lot of these issues are only significant if you think past simply getting the BLOBs out of SQL and think about the intelligent management of those BLOBs.I’ll try to get the next two entries finished up because I think that they will make everything much clearer. Andrew

Sheetal Jain

Thanks for the great post.Wouldn't SQL Server 2008 (FILESTREAM) would mute the BLOB issue? Last week I noticed an entry on MSFT blog about SQL server 2008 supporthttp://blogs.msdn.com/sharepoint/archive/2008/08/15/sql-server-2008-support-for-sharepoint-products-and-technologies.aspxI am currently testing the SQL server 2008 and MOSS for one of the compliance solutions we are builing and so far the results looks promising. Any comments would be appreciated

Rich Klahne

Look forward to reading about the solutions Andrew! Thanks!

Andrew Chapman

If you'd like a less biased overview of SharePoint archiving in relation to Documentum then "Pie" has posted an article "Forecasting the Future of Documentum and SharePoint " over at his Blog. It also helps that he also said nice things about me…

Jed Cawthorne

Just to back up Andrew on the architectural side of things with an anecdote, 'no names, no pack drill'; I worked on a Documentum 5.3 implementation where the performance was so dire using MS SQL Server that the organisation took the hit and paid to go over to Oracle to get better performance from its ECMS, and this is with only the metadata and some other properties being held in database tables, the binary objects are in a flat file store, not BLOBS in the database. Just extrapolate those performance issues out from there.......


EMC's views on scalability issues with SharePoint

A nice post

Confluence: MarketSpace

EMC on scalability issues with SharePoint

!sharepoinit.png align=right,width="220px"! A nice post

MyNetFaves : Web 2.0 Social Bookmarking

MyNetFaves : Public Faves Tagged Acronym

Marked your site as acronym at MyNetFaves!

Paul Morrissey

Great Post. looking forward to seeing that 3rd post Three questions1. Does EBS provider give you control over what file data should be externalized (certain size for e.g) or is all or nothing.2. in relation to your comment, 'Along with the binary object we also take a "convenience copy" of some of the object's metadata and any other contextual information of interest'Any guidelines/template that one should be aware of when extracting this associated metadata to make it relevant to ECM vendors

Shawn Shell

This is just a nit, but your example of a 10 Gb file wouldn't actually "fly," since there's a 2 Gb limit on BLOBs in SQL and, consequently, in SharePoint as well (there's hard-coded maximum size limit built into SharePoint, with the default size of 50 Mb). That said, your point is well taken. In Microsoft's own Interactive Media Manager application (built "on top" of SharePoint), the product team stores the very large media files on a secondary storage mechanism and only keeps track of the assets in SharePoint.

storage area network

storage area network

If your IT department is being squeezed by the downturn in the economy but still needs to add let’s say a storage area network (SAN) then why not do it yourself (DIY).

The comments to this entry are closed.

Cloud Computing Journal
Top 100 Cloud Computing Bloggers